Kirsten Krason from 6th Street Design School shared some awesome curtain hanging tips on her blog.
Here is the segment she did on Studio 5 but I’ll give you the summary of her tips……
- How to Hang: Hang them HIGH! Hang your curtains at least 5-8 inches higher than your window. This will help the ceilings seem taller and the window setting looks better. You really can’t hang them too high!
- Length: Floor length curtains need to touch the floor. If they aren’t it looks like you didn’t measure properly. If you want a more formal look allow your curtains to pool on the floor. If you want to use short curtains…. make them short.
- Custom: Custom curtains are great for creating a more unique look. This is also a great way to go if you are in need of a longer length curtain. Kirsten recommend finding a great priced curtain and sewing them yourself.
- Pattern: If you want to use patterned curtains be careful not to put them in a room that already has a lot going on. Color is also very important. You want a curtain that offers contrast against your walls. If you want to add other patterns in the room go with a more simple pattern.
- Budget: Curtains can be expensive but are just as important as the rest of the furniture in your room. “It’s the biggest wow factor in the room.” It’s important to budget appropriately so you can purchase good quality curtains.
- Tips to Save: ~You can buy just one panel and cut it in half. ~Add a solid piece of fabric to the bottom of your panels. This saves you money because you are adding length to a shorter panel. ~Use sheets to make your own curtains.
- Purchasing Curtains: A few good places are Ikea, Target, World Market
Awesome tips right! Make sure to stop by her blog and check out the full Studio 5 Segment.
Just to fill your curiosity….. here are a few pictures of the curtains Kirsten has in her home.
To see more pictures of Kirsten’s beautiful home stop by and check out her Home Tour! Thanks for letting me share your curtain tips today Kirsten :)